You can do it!
Angel Food Cake from Scratch
Angel Food Cake
Important Information -
All your utensils and bowls must be free of oil. Take the time to wipe clean kitchen items before beginning.
Remove oven racks or rack to the lowest, or second lowest position of oven.
Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
Determine the best item in your house to invert the cake once cooked.
Check that any bottle will fit inside the neck of the pan if you choose to use a pop bottle.
It is best to do a trial run with your inversion plan before you begin.
12 egg whites (any yolk means failure)
Eggs are best separated when cold.
Crack and separate eggs, broken yolks should not be used and should be set aside for another purpose.
Dry Ingredients to add to egg whites (directions below)
1 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Cup Cake Flour
1 1/3 Cup Powdered Sugar
1/4 tsp salt
Separate eggs and set egg whites aside and allow to warm for best whipping results.
1. Separating eggs is dangerous business. You can keep track of egg yolks using anything. I like counting bears.
2. The dry ingredients are sifted together onto wax paper (almost invisible but it is there.) The wax paper makes it easy to put the dry ingredients back into the sifter for the 2nd sifting when folding into the egg whites. I measure and sift this first time before whipping the eggs.
3. You can use a water bath to safely increase the temperature before whipping the egg whites.
Directions Continued -
Whip egg whites on medium low speed until frothy. Add cream of tartar. Increase speed to medium until soft peaks form. Begin adding granulated sugar to the egg whites slowly and continue whipping eggs. Peaks should remain soft.
Using a clean, grease free rubber spatula, sift the already sifted dry ingredients on top of the the soft peaks. Sprinkle about one half cup of dry ingredients and then gently fold into the egg whites, preserving the whites. Continue to add the dry ingredients until fully folded into the egg whites. Scrape the bottom and sides to ensure all dry ingredients are incorporated.
Gently scoop/pour batter into a ungreased 10 in angel food pan. Run the spatula through, to even the batter. Place on a lower rack of the preheated oven. Avoid opening door or disturbing the cake while baking. The cake will be golden and the top should appear dry and cracked. It is better to overcook than undercook this cake.
Invert cake, once out of the oven, upside down on a pop bottle or over a grouping of bowls. Allow to cool completely. Using a serrated knife along the edge and bottom of the pan to remove cake. Use serrated knife to slice and serve, with or without fruit. Enjoy!
4. Soft Peaks after the sugar is added.
5. Volume after sifted dry ingredients
are folded into soft peaks.
6. Angel Food Cake right out of the oven.
Golden color, dry with crackled appearance.